A Great Way to Extend the Reach of Your Department! By Ciara Cox, Therapy Resource
As many of you know, entry-level occupational therapy degrees are available at the master’s and doctoral level. Excitingly, part of the requirements for an entry-level OTD included is a 14-week Capstone experience.
The students will have finished their internships and will be looking for 14 weeks’ in-depth exposure to one or more of the following areas:
- Clinical practice skills
- Research skills
- Program and policy development
- Theory development
The students can work fairly independently; their onsite mentor does not have to be an OT, and the onsite role is mentoring rather than supervising. (If the student is treating as part of their Capstone, then student-supervision rules apply.)
Some examples of planned Entry-Level OTD Capstones at SNFs include:
- Environmental Modifications to Increase Participation and Quality of Life for Individuals with Dementia
- The Abilities Care Approach: Life Story Boards for Individuals with Dementia
- Cultural Competency in Dementia Care
- Mindfulness Education for Stress Reduction
You can find a university offering an entry-level OTD by clicking on this link: https://www.aota.org/Education-Careers/Find-School/AccreditEntryLevel/DoctoralEntryLevel.aspx
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like more information.